Wednesday, June 6, 2007

First tattoo



There it is. My first tattoo. It went through a lot of iterations (well 2) with differing ideas, but I ended up with something that symbolizes a great many philosophys and beliefs that I hold. It also manages to harken back to another life, as well as reminding me in this one to not get bogged down in the mundane shite we all have to put up with everyday.

Mainly, that accumulating "stuff" is not what its about, and to do something with your gifts. To know who you are simply by asking yourself and trusting the answer. To not allow fear to rule your decisions or keep you from your goal. To understand that the mind is a tool, not who you are, that it needs to be quieted or it will run your life.

This tattoo was born of the Ouroboros and runic lore. Both of which I have been drawn to all of my life.

The tattoo was always centered around the Ouroboros, and its associated meanings. The cycles of life and renewal, the understanding of the unity of us all.

As for the runestave, it started out life as another design in the center of the Ouroboros. However, the more I meditated about it and asked, I suddenly sat down and sketched the snake and the runestave with it. I barely remember doing it, but there it is(People who know me can attest I can barely draw stick figures). It is something I needed and serves as a reminder to not squander the gifts that I have. If you want a breakdown, the staff consists of the runes: Eihwaz, Kenaz, and Algiz. I wish I could express everything it does mean to me, just suffice I guess to say that it goes much deeper than what I have put here.

Difficulty: 1 mantool

2 comments:

Jhianna said...

My man is marked! I like it - it fits you.

WhatsHerFace

Heimdell said...

Nice tat Bill! Isn't it somewhat ironic that the tat's you get when your older are MUCH nicer than the ones you get when your younger. Course it is probably actually thinking about what you want and not DRINKING about what you want *grin*